Georgia Southern University
With nearly 26,000 students, approximately 140 different degree programs, three campuses, and a single vision of growing others, Georgia Southern University is already moving and ready for more. The historic brick streets or moss-dripping oak trees may make our picturesque campuses seem pristine, but there’s a lot of roll-up-your-sleeves work going on here. Research is focused on community impact. Teaching is focused on the students. And the students are focused on their future.
The foundation for this can-do spirit was born on Dec. 1, 1906, when delegates from Statesboro, Georgia, traveled to the DeSoto Hotel in Savannah and offered the winning bid to create the First District Agricultural School to be located in Statesboro. Just 29 years later and only a few blocks away on Bull Street in Savannah, Armstrong Junior College was established at the historic Armstrong House.
Today, as one University, Georgia Southern is the state’s largest and most comprehensive center of higher education south of I-20. With programs at the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern is a public Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution with three vibrant campuses — the Statesboro Campus, the Armstrong Campus in Savannah and the Liberty Campus in Hinesville and a vibrant set of over 65 online programs. Georgia Southern’s nationally accredited academic programs include a heavy dose of real-world work so our graduates are ready from the day they graduate.
Since 1906, the University’s hallmark has been a culture of engagement that bridges theory with practice, extends the learning environment beyond the classroom and promotes student growth and life success. Central to the University’s mission is the faculty’s dedication to excellence in teaching and the development of a fertile learning environment exemplified by a free exchange of ideas, high academic expectations, and individual responsibility for academic achievement. Faculty, staff, and students embrace core values of collaboration, academic excellence, discovery and innovation, integrity, openness and inclusion, and sustainability.
Our Points of Pride include:
- As a university of more than 25,500 students, Georgia Southern is one of the top universities of choice for students pursuing online degrees and programs, with over 2,700 students enrolled in exclusively online programs.
- The University offers more than 141 degree programs at the baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral levels through ten colleges: the Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Computing, the College of Arts and Humanities, the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences, the College of Education, the Honors College, the Jack N. Averett College of Graduate Studies, the Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health, the Parker College of Business, the College of Science and Mathematics and the Waters College of Health Professions.
- Named a “Military-Friendly ” school for the ninth year in a row by Viqtory Media, publisher of G.I. Jobs, STEM Jobs and Military Spouse magazine, ranked one of the “Best for Vets” according to CollegeFactual, is number one in the “Best Education Options for Veterans” by Veterans News Report, ranked number one in the “Top 60 Military Friendly Colleges” by Intelligent.com and number one in the best schools for military students by Best for Vets Colleges.
- Georgia Southern University has been included on the prestigious Green Ribbon Schools list by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Included in the “50 Best Nonprofit Colleges and Universities for Online Doctorates” by Nonprofit Colleges Online
- Georgia Southern is ranked number one in the “Top 60 Most Affordable Online Colleges” by Intelligent.com
- Georgia Southern is ranked number one in the “Top 60 Online Ph.D. Programs” by Intelligent.com
- Ranked number one for “Best Online Colleges in Georgia” by Learn.org
- The College of Education is number one in the Southeast and number four in the nation for the “Top 45 Master’s of Education in Higher Education Administration” by Intelligent.com and number one in the nation for “Best Online Master’s in Educational Leadership Program with Best Student Support” by OnlineMasters.com.
- The Parker College of Business is number one for the “Best Online MBA Programs in Georgia” by MBACompass.com, number one in the “Top 50 Online Master’s in Business Administration“, number one in “Top 20 Online Master’s in Economics”, number one in the South and number 10 nationwide (Master of Accounting Online, WebMAcc) in the “Top 60 Online Accounting Degrees” by Intelligent.com and number one for “Most Affordable College Online for a Master’s in Economics” by OnlineU
- The Waters College of Health Professions is number one in the “Top 40 Online Master’s in Coaching”, number one in the “Top 50 Online Nurse Practitioner Programs” number one in the “Top 50 Online Sports Management Degrees” (master’s degree) by Intelligent.com and number one in the “20 Most Affordable Online BSN Degrees” by College Choice.
- Ranked in the Top 49 Most Affordable Online Schools in 2022 by Best Value Schools
- Top Adult Programs and Top Online Adult Programs for 2022 by Abound
- #1 for the 2022 Best Online Colleges in Georgia by EDsmart
- #1 of 8 in the latest Best Education Options for Veterans by Veterans News Report
Georgia Southern University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associates, baccalaureate, masters, specialists, and doctorate degrees. Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 (https://www.sacscoc.org) for questions about the accreditation of Georgia Southern University.
Normal inquiries about the institution, such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc., should be addressed directly to the institution and not to the Commission's office. The Commission should be contacted only if there is evidence that appears to support an institution's significant non-compliance with a requirement or standard.