Master of Arts in Teaching
The MAT is a graduate level initial teacher certification program. This program is designed for candidates that have obtained an undergraduate degree in a field outside of education.
Augusta University offers MAT programs for the following content areas:
- Elementary Education
- Middle Grades Education
- Secondary Education
- Special Education
- Music Education
- Art Education
- World Language Education
Candidates who are not currently employed in a school will be placed in a classroom for 25-hours of authentic field experience for most courses. During summer semesters students complete field experiences as directed in course descriptions. Candidates who are currently employed in a school may complete their hours in their own classroom.
MAT Admissions Requirements
- Candidates pursuing a MAT must have an undergraduate degree. If pursuing a Secondary Concentration, you must have an undergraduate degree in a related field or take additional content area classes to complete this requirement.
- Official transcripts from ALL prior colleges
- 2.5 Undergraduate GPA
- Official GACE Content Scores (Required for Secondary) score of 220 or higher required in both sections
- Georgia Educator Ethics Assessment: Successful completion of the Georgia Educator Ethics Assessment (360). This assessment is not scored but must be completed for program admission. In order to take the ethics assessment, create or update your MyPSC account on the GaPSC website, choose Augusta University as your program provider, and select option 7 as your reason for testing. In one to two days, you will receive a testing link from ETS. This will allow you to both pay and complete the assessment.
- Students who have a previous undergraduate degree in education are not eligible for enrollment in the Master’s of Arts in Education degree.
- Middle grades - Students must choose two concentrations. GaPSC requires 15 semester hours of content per concentration to meet certification requirements. If this is not met at the time of applying you may work with your advisor after admissions on additional courses to fulfill this requirement.
- Students who seek to change their concentration in the MAT program must reapply for admission to the new concentration.
Once accepted into the program the supporting documents listed below are needed before the start of the term.
- Criminal Background Consent Form
Successful completion of background check is required.
- Email completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Applied Learning Experience Agreement
- Required Liability Insurance
- If you are currently employed in your own classroom, you must teach in the area in which you are seeking certification. For example, those seeking elementary certification must be employed in an elementary classroom, etc.
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
Georgia Professional Standards Commission